Monday, January 14, 2008

So Sick It Hurts: Shook Ones - "Facetious Folly Feat"



I dunno why it's taken me so long to post something up about these bruisers, but fuck it, here it is... So quit your crying already, or I'll turn this place into a tomb... *Which happens to be one of my mother's favorite things to say to me when I was a child... *True story... Anyways, if you don't already have this album shredding straight through the thin fleshy mass that is your eardrum on a daily rotation, you are at best a dummy in my eyes, and will never be anything more... *Again, true story.

So let's say you are one of these said dummies that hasn't sauntered the way of the Ones Who Have Been Shooken, and you are curious as to why you should... Well, that's why I'm here... For you and you only. First off, it's been a long time since I've listened to a whole album all the way through that's given me such erratic leg and arm convulsions as this one. Kinda like the first time I heard the Super Bowl Shuffle or Fleetwood Mac's "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight"... Like that erratic. Seriously, walking down the sidewalk, I can't help but fight the urge to jut my leg out like I was putting the heel of my foot through a television screen, or windmill my right arm at 634 revolutions per minute, or even pantomime gripping the neck of a shitty Fender and whipping it in the air back and forth like i was fanning a dying campfire about two feet above my head... Yeah, that erratic.

Not only just that jazz, but the singer's voice sounds like mine does after a four-night, 16-packs-of-parliament-lights bender bathed in Jameson whiskey... One that harkens back to Jason Shevchuk's days with that gift from the heavens, Kid Dynamite. No wonder Dan Yemin and his Paint It Black boys support these cats and their vicious jive... Fuck, who wouldn't? So regardless, even if you ignore my ranting and filibustering over this band, just walk away knowing these guys are the real deal... Pure adrenaline, pure attitude, pure aggression, pure viciousness, pure heart, and pure damn speed... All without having to be some floor-beat, breakdown-milking, high-kicking, unity-touting, faux-toughguy bullshit 'core band... Don't look confused, you all know when the scenes took a nosedive for a cartoony bit there.

Oh, and they pick the sickest of support too! ... Rounded out the end of the year with Trap Them, hit the Fest in the gatorstate, and now are going to hit the left coast with Hour of the Wolf... Tasty!

Shook Ones - "Carms Race" & "Pheasant" (live, @ ACB in Tokyo)
... (Best part of the video is at 0:15 when the guitarist hams up his awkward white guy hardcore guitar leaps for the cam. Oh we have sooo all been there at least once before. Enjoy!)...

No comments: