Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Important Moments in Powerviolence: Converge Writes "The Saddest Day"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In 1997, the band Converge dropped a new album called Petitioning the Empty Sky, and the first track on this record unleashed a ferocity and aggressiveness that would forever change the face of heavy music. This track was entitled "The Saddest Day." To this day, that track is the greatest song by the greatest band in aggressive music. Period. I think that makes it the greatest song in aggressive music... ever. I'll do a logic proof on that and get back to you all later.

"The Saddest Day" still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. With its range from straight-up pummeling to Jake's creepy singing in the slower parts, the song is a work of pure genius. They even still played it at their live shows up until about a year ago, and it always got the floor moving more than anything else in the set. The last two times I saw them they did not play it, so I punched Jake in the face. Just kidding. Not about them not playing "The Saddest Day," but about punching Jake. I love Jake; I would never punch him. Plus he would kick my ass. But I was upset that I didn't get to hear it live again.

At any rate, I thought it was imperative to classify the release of this little number as extremely important, because it was a pretty fresh sound when it was first let out. Plus it's kind of epic, clocking in at over 7 minutes and having very different "movements" throughout. Also, it just plain destroys, and that why it's powerviolence.

I just put up the song because all the videos had shitty audio.

No comments: