Saturday, February 2, 2008

Featured Live Show: Hot Water Music

Photobucket

2.01.2008 - Metro (Chicago, IL)

As some of you may remember, I did a "Get the Fuck Back Together, Idiots" on Hot Water Music a little while back. Well, they listened. Backing up the release of Till the Wheels Fall Off, a collection of rarities, songs from splits, etc, HWM went on tour. I also mentioned this on the site when I first caught wind of it. Turns out I kinda really think Hot Water rocks the fuck out of the world.

So I obviously went to this reunion show, and it was, of course, fucking amazing. Hot Water are one of the greatest bands to see live. Each show is chock-full of raw energy and crazy fist-pumping. On top of that, every time I see them they get a little better. This time around they played as tight as can be, even though there was a good amount of liquor in them. Surprising, isn't it? Chris was looking pretty wasted by the end of the show, actually. Chuck was drinking whiskey and Guinness. He's probably the coolest guy alive at this point. Not because he drinks whiskey, but because he just knows how to bring the rock like no other. Anyway, they played hella great. The crowd was going nuts for everything, but songs from Caution and Never Ender were the biggest, which is pretty much to be expected. When they unleashed "Alachua" during the encore, the place exploded. Beer was flying everywhere and I somehow ended up on my back. I think some homeboy tried to grab onto me on his way down for support but just dragged me with him. It's cool though, that's the price to pay for being front and center. I do have to say, however, that there was a high turnout of fuckwads at this show, which always sucks. We got tickets to the show that was NOT all ages for obvious reasons (they are playing another tonight in the Chi that is all ages), but that doesn't mean you don't have immature cuntrags showing up. The one I attended was 18 and over, so we still got stuck with some high school-esque fuckers that were trying to emulate what they saw on MTV in the pit. At one point I literally had to grab some kid by the neck and tell him if he hit me in the head again I was going to beat the shit out of him. That seemed to remedy the problem.

I heard in the pisser that Small Brown Bike was supposed to open but canceled. I don't know how true that is. That would have been a double reunion show of two fantastic bands, but whatever. The bands that did play with HWM were pretty uneventful, and I spent the time during their sets downing liquid courage, so I am not going to bother mentioning who they were or how they played.

I just hope Hot Water takes all the shouting of "Get back together!" to heart and decides to do just that. I miss those guys. They even managed to tug at the heartstrings by mentioning how much they loved playing the Fireside Bowl. Damn.

Here's about 20 seconds of them playing last night:


Here they are playing live somewhere before they broke up (watch Chris rock out pretty hard in the background):

No comments: