Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dispatches from Powerviolence: Twelve Gauge Valentine Call It Quits



I dunno the general consensus about this band, but it has been one that really stuck out as a little-engine-rock-monster-that-could for me... I dunno what it was that did it for me, either their pummeling live show that rocked it to 11, their lone full-length with lyric themes and cover art that was straight up Boo Rad-ley (too much?), their shirt merch with awesomely beast/ironic catch phrases like "don't knock it til you rocket" or "just cuz I rock hard doesn't mean I'm made of rock" (with everyone's favorite blue-eyed monster, The Thing, on it), or maybe it was just the fact they were one of the few fresh crop of new powerfight acts that were actually putting good shit out on Solid State (who in my opinion is quickly slipping down the tubes with the handful of garbagewater bands they are pushing more than the good ones). But either way, their going the way of the polar icecaps and trickling away (I'm blaming you, Al Gore).

Only together for five years, they turned a band-for-fun into a touring powerhouse, but have decided to now hang their hats... Just like Planes is doing with their split, Twelve Gauge is giving us a final farewell tour, but pretty much only in the south. Bummertown... And even more bummertown cuz they're bringing The Handshake Murders out with them, who also know how to bring the shredderviolence. Jerks... But these casket junkies also left a positive note on their myspage as well: "Don't expect us all to be giving up on music so soon. By the beginning of the new year we should be able to announce some really big new stuff we have in the oven!!" ... I wonder what it will be... A bun? A baby? A baby made of buns, razorblades, lava, and fuckin rockness? Either way, I'll be waiting to hear... Remember kids, the juggernaut always prevails.

Twelve Gauge Valentine - "99 with an Anchor" (live)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good...I'm sick of them losers coming up on an internet search intead of us...