Monday, May 7, 2007

Dispatches From Powerviolence: Ferret Signs PTW



This is turning into a damn new column festival! I love it... Here's a new one, a column centering around newsworthy items that we find to be utterly powerviolence. ya dig?

And for the first round (and I know it's a little late, but deal with it) I wanted to throw out a tasty nugget of news from the recent past... Ferret Records signing Poison the Well! Lemme clarify why I am jazzed by this, Ferret has always been a sleeper favorite for me in regards to labels, and PTW also has been a mainstay in my collective musical arsenal, so the merging of these two powerviolence staples can't mean anything but tightness. If you're tuning in to these two for the first time, PTW's Ferret album has been released about a month ago, and frankly, it's pretty damn decent... sure it didn't grip me right out the gates like some past offerings, but I'm sure this one is bound to grow on me. I think I'm also just glad that PTW has decided to shake themselves free from the major label grasps and bring it back down to an indie with intense cred. They're just not the band to pump out radio-friendly diddies for multi-millions.... and i like it that way.

So I guess only time will tell how fruitful this marriage will be... but i do know i will definitely be keeping my eye on it from now on... Here's a little live jingle to wet the palate:

Poison the Well - "Slice Paper Wrists" (live)

No comments: